Friday 7 July 2017

Review ~ Lady and the Champ by Katherine Lace

Lady and the Champebook downloaded for free via Amazon.

Release Date: July 3rd 2016

Publisher: Self-published

Description:
He’s a single dad, and he needs a lady 

I massage naked guys for a living, but it’s strictly business. As a physical therapist, I get my hands on the hottest guys in sports, but I’m a professional. I have rules. 

And I’m *this* close to breaking every one of them. 

It’s all his fault: Austin “The Champ” Sherwood, the gorgeous football god. He’s most valuable on the field, and most desired in the bedroom. He’s my obnoxious patient. I hate him. I want him. But we’re forced together as he's recovering from a season-ending injury. 

Rejecting him should be easy. I shouldn’t want to date a client, but my heart melts when I see him with his baby daughter. A football god who’s not a player? He's a dream-come-true, but I can’t date him. Our forbidden romance could get me fired. 

But what will we lose if we walk away?

My Opinion

So I was really enjoying this book. Seriously, I loved everything about it. Then the author went and did something irritating with the ending that overrode all my happy feelings.

I'll start with the good points. I loved the story. The writing was great, the humour was on point, and the banter and tension between Chloe and Austin was amusing. I loved how Austin pushed the boundaries. His comments were funny and well-timed. Similarly, I liked Chloe and I enjoyed watching her fight her attraction. Together they both worked well and bounced off one another to great a likeable relationship that was surrounded by a great plot.

Honestly, I really can't fault the writing or the characters. I've never read anything by this author before and it surprised me how quickly I got through the book.

However--and this is a big however--what irritated me most was to read the epilogue of this book you have to sign up to this author's newsletter. Now, I didn't mind this. I enjoyed the book so thought what the hell, I'm happy to hear more from the author. However, after going to all of the hassle to sign up and download the book, I found it only to be a few pages. It ended up feeling like a cheap publicity trick because if you're going to write a book and extend the ending, I want at least a few chapters extra not a couple of pages that should have been in the original book to give a satisfying conclusion. I'm sorry, I'm all for subscribers getting exclusive content, but I don't expect to invest hours of my time into a book then be told to read the last few pages I have to sign up to something. Write a new book, write a spin off, hell write a short story. Don't give me a couple pages of the ending which should be included in a book so that it's a complete story you buy. I will mostly likely be unsubscribing for that.

Anyway, I wish that ending hadn't overshadowed a great read. I really enjoyed the book. I just hate it when authors use cheap marketing tactics to build a newsletter. It ruined the end of the book for me with the hassle of having to download a few pages.


Overall, loved the story and then the author ruined it. It recommend the read, but don't bother with the extended epilogue. It wasn't worth the hassle since the ending didn't add much in the way of satisfaction.

4

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Let me know what you think :)

I know word verification is a pain, but spam is worse.

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...