Wednesday 7 December 2016

Review ~ Defending Jagger (Search & Seek #1) by Amanda Mackey

Defending Jagger (Search & Seek #1)
ebook downloaded for free via Amazon.

Release Date: July 26th 2016

Publisher: Limitless Publishing LLC

Description:
Jagger Reed has a secret that could destroy lives…

And one life that could be destroyed is his disabled brother’s. Jagger is in jail for a crime he didn't commit, and believes it’s a small price to pay to protect his family.

Rosalind McAllister is the newest creative writing teacher at Arizona State Prison…

Rose is determined to prove herself to her criminal students and not let them break her—like they did the last teacher. But when she meets Jagger Reed, she immediately knows the line between student and teacher could be easily blurred. Tall, intimidating, and way too handsome to be incarcerated, she vows to keep him at a distance.

A creative writing assignment turns into the discovery of Jagger’s innocence…

When Rose reads Jagger’s creative writing piece, she’s both astounded and impressed. His written words call to her, providing a window into his private world. But as the assignment continues, she discovers facts about Jagger’s conviction that change everything.

Determined to piece together clues that leap out from the pages, she finds much more than an articulate prisoner.

How can she save a man who doesn't want to be saved? And can she stop her heart from getting involved while…
Defending Jagger?

My Opinion

I liked the premise of this book, and for the most part it held my attention. I was really enjoying it ... But then the ending came ...

Defending Jagger is a story revolving  around Jagger, a guy serving 20 years for manslaughter, and Rose, his creative writing teacher in prison. I won't go into too many details, but as the two of them learn to trust each other some important discoveries come to light. 

Like I said, I sped through this book and it kept me engaged. However, as I was reading it I couldn't help be aware of the page count rapidly coming to an end, while there was still plenty of story to be told. I didn't know whether this was a series or standalone at the time, but I knew if it was a standalone I wouldn't get the satisfying ending I was after ... and I was right.

The author set up this great story with an intriguing plot. It had me hooked, yet then it just all fizzled out in the end. Things come to fruition way too simply and there's little described with the resolve. It was disappointing as the author spent all this time developing the plot just to throw it away in a matter of pages. Personally, I feel the start should have been cut down and more added to the end to give a satisfying resolve that wasn't rushed. In fact she probably could have got away with making it slightly longer without cutting--although I would have liked less teaching. 

I really wish the book hasn't ended the way it had. I had been enjoying it, but it just needed that bit extra for me. 


Overall, most of it is a good read, even if it was let down by the ending. I might read the next book, but I haven't decided yet. 

3

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Let me know what you think :)

I know word verification is a pain, but spam is worse.

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...