Friday 1 July 2016

Review ~ A Lover's Lament by K.L. Grayson & B.T. Urruela

A Lover's Lament
ebook purchased by myself.

Release Date: October 6th 2015

Publisher: Self-published

Description:
In a matter of seconds my entire world changed, and it was in that moment that I stopped living and simply began to exist. 

In my grief, I sent a letter to the first boy I ever loved. I hoped in writing it I’d find some peace from the nightmare I was living, some solace in my anger. 

I didn’t expect him to write back. I wasn’t prepared for his words, and I certainly wasn’t ready for the impact this soldier would have on my life. A deep-rooted hate transformed into friendship, and then molded into a love like I’d never known before. 

Sergeant Devin Ulysses Clay did what I couldn’t: he put the shattered pieces of my heart back together, restoring my faith in humanity and teaching me how to live again. 

But now that I’m whole, I have a decision to make. Do I return to my life as I knew it and the fiancĂ© I left behind, or do I walk away from it all for the only man to ever break my heart? 

*** 

I’ve been living in hell, but you won’t hear me complain. 

These men depend on me, as I do them, and this brotherhood is the only family I’ve ever known. 

The Army saved me from a callous mother and a life on the wrong side of the tracks that was quickly spiraling out of control. So unlike most of the men in my platoon, going home wasn’t something I longed for. 

I was content overseas, spending my days defending this country that gave me my life back. Fighting became my new normal … until her. 

A letter from Katie Devora—a letter that I almost didn’t open. Her words put a fire back inside of me that I didn’t know I’d lost. She gave me hope during a time when I was fighting every day just to stay alive, and now it’s time I fight for her.

My Opinion

I came across this book by chance. The 0.99 sale post from a blogger I follow came up from my feed and after reading the sample I couldn't resist. I'm so glad I took a chance on this book because it's one of the most moving reads I've read so far this year.

A Lover's Lament surprised me. Most of the book sees the main characters--Katie and Devin--in separate countries. Devin is deployed in Iraq while Katie is home in the US. Fate brings them back together again through a soldier pen pal program while Katie is struggling to move past a certain set of events. As old lovers and best friends, they find each other again after ten years to reconnect.

This book surprised me because of this. The majority of the re-connection takes place through letters, emails, and phone calls. I was surprised y the intensity of the connection the authors managed to establish with no physical contact or body language. The relationship between the characters was brilliant and I was amazed by how much they made me feel in spite of the distance. Normally I what the characters to hurry up and meet, but in this book it flowed and pulled you along effortlessly. The emotions brought to the book were brilliant and never failed to tug on my heartstrings.

As for the plot, the authors' knowledge from being a US veteran came into play greatly on Devin's side of things. Usually in these types of books, the war is muted or skimmed over. In A Lover's Lament there's no of that. Of course it's not bloody and gruesome, but Devin spends the majority of the time in Iraq and it felt real. The emotions, situations ... everything was done well.

The only slight negative is I did feel it ended too quickly. There were big chunks of time missed out in the end and I jut felt it all ended rather abruptly. Considering the pace had been so good up until then it did feel rushed. This is probably more down to me not wanting the story to end, though.


Overall, a great read. It moved me, tugged on my heartstrings, and I couldn't put it down. I would definitely recommend this.

5

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Let me know what you think :)

I know word verification is a pain, but spam is worse.

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...