Thursday 28 April 2016

Review ~ Black (Black #1) by T.L. Smith

Black (Black, #1)
ebook purchased by myself.

Release Date: January 29th 2016

Publisher: Self-published

Description:
I am loyal, but I will betray you.
I am strong, but I have scars.
I am an angel, but the devil.
I met her when I was sixteen, she was a breath of fresh air. She swooped in, making me smile. But then she left, taking my next breath with her.
Her smile could light up a room, making my black heart pitter patter.
I found her again ten years later, with a syringe in her arm. 
Blood coming from her legs.
She was broken and I was glad she was broken. She wouldn't think less of me and my damaged ways.

My Opinion

This was another impulse buy because it was on sale and the author is attending a signing I'm going to. The blurb didn't give much away, but combined with the price it intrigued me enough to take a chance on it.

Now I've reached the end I'm really not sure what to make of Black. The start was very choppy and disjointed. It took me a while to figure out what was going on and get into the writing style. I found throughout the entire book there were moments of unclarity whereby it wasn't alway clear who was speaking or being talked about. It did lead me to re-read sections a few times.

Saying that, things did get more interesting towards the middle. It held my attention and I liked the sinister, dark, gritty plot line. It was a twisted book, but it was intriguing.

I'm not really sure what to make of the characters. They were okay, but didn't really connect with me. It's kind of hard to connect with a hitman and a druggie though. I sympathised with Rose, but not overly.

The thing that really tore me about this book was the ending. I could see how it was goon to end a mile off. I wanted the author to prove me wrong and give me the ending I wanted. Sadly, it just doesn't unfold that way. And even though I could see it coming, it still left me feeling dejected.

Overall, it's not a bad book. It was a quick darker read, but I didn't fall in love with the writing style. I felt there was more to be got out of the story and things needed to be clearer. Though if you like darker reads you may want to give it a go.

3

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Let me know what you think :)

I know word verification is a pain, but spam is worse.

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...