Thursday 17 December 2015

Review ~ Make Me Believe (Believe #1) by Karen Ferry

Make Me Believe (Believe, #1)
Paperback purchased by myself

Release Date: July 6th 2015

Publisher: Self-published

Description:
Sometimes, a chance meeting is just the push you need in order to break free from the darkness within…

My name is Emma, I’m 23, and I’ve never been kissed. I’m no virgin…But kissing is too intimate, too intense, and I don’t want that – not ever. I like sex, though, and most of my hook-ups don’t seem to mind the no-kissing part. 

But then I meet Daniel, who’s such a geek, and definitely not the kind of guy I’d normally take an interest to. He’s the shy, quiet type, but with such a charming smile, and he makes my heart race – something I’ve never experienced before. 

Daniel has his own issues to work through, and I know my hardened heart shouldn’t melt when he looks at me. I really shouldn’t be falling for him, either, but somehow, he manages to tear down my walls, and I’m scared…because once he learns my secrets, he’ll want nothing to do with me.

All I know is that Daniel makes me feel things that I have never felt before – but do I dare let down my walls and confide in him? 

Will I let him be my first kiss?

This is my story, and I’ll reveal everything in my own sweet time…

Just don’t expect all the hearts-and-flowers stuff.
Life is messy, and mine is no different…

My Opinion

This book has a gorgeous cover and an interesting premise. However, it fell flat to me and didn't have the emotional intensity I was expecting.

For me, this book just didn't go anywhere. The problems the characters supposedly had didn't really seem that big of a deal. I was always told they were, but they never felt like it. The consequences all felt very minor.Emma had a little more depth, but I just didn't buy into her as a character. 

As for Daniel, I really didn't believe in him. He was supposedly a virgin, geek, uncoordinated, dyslexic, and had a stutter. However, none of these challenges seemed to develop of go anywhere. It felt to me like halfway through--maybe even before then--the author decided she wanted an alpha male and the qualities just didn't work for Daniel for me because of the aforementioned.

This was the main issue for me. I didn't connect with either character and therefore I found my attention drifting. I did also think the writing could have been condensed to take out some of the repetitive actions and unnecessary details.


Overall, although it wasn't a bad book, it just didn't work for me. I expected more emotion from it and I couldn't believe in what was written.

2

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Let me know what you think :)

I know word verification is a pain, but spam is worse.

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...