Wednesday 21 October 2015

Review ~ Dirty English by Ilsa Madden-Mills

Dirty Englishebook purchased by myself.

Release Date: October 12th 2015

Publisher: Self-published

Description:
A scarred fighter.
A girl with rules.
One night of unbridled passion.

There are three things you need to know about Elizabeth Bennett: she’s smart as a whip, always in control, and lives by a set of carefully crafted rules. She’s learned the hard way that people you love the most always hurt you in the end.

But then she meets Declan Blay, the new neighbor at her apartment complex.

A tattooed British street fighter, he’s the campus bad boy she’s supposed to avoid, but when he saves her from a frat party gone bad, all her rules about sex and love fly out the window.

She gives him one night of unbridled passion, but he longs for more.

With only a cardboard-thin wall separating their bedrooms, he dreams of possessing the vulnerable girl next door forever.

One night. Two damaged hearts. The passion of a lifetime.

*a modern love story inspired by Pride and Prejudice*
 
My Opinion

I won't lie, I bought this book for the cover alone. Because, seriously? It's a great cover. When I found out it had links to fighting I was even more excited. I was also intrigued by the British element, however, I'm really not sure what to make of Dirty English now.

Parts of this book were great and then parts really irritated me. I think I wanted to like it more than I did. It was okayfor the most part, but I have read better in this genre.

This book started off strong. It did pull me in and you instantly feel sympathy towards Elizabeth. Similarly, Declan is intriguing when he first comes on the scene and I did like their romance. When the couple were together things were intense and there was a spark.

However, for me, I didn't fall in love with the writing style. At times it felt very wooden and stilted, while at others there were major over shares. For a guy who's supposedly as strong as Declan he sure spilled his guts quickly about his parents and the likes of. I didn't find that very believable and it left little room for development.

Similarly, although Elizabeth was a little more reserved, she also cracked too easy. None of the issues felt like a big deal. They just blurted them out and if it was me I'd be more wary of a stranger if I supposedly had rules about fighters, drunks, and good looking men.

The other problem I had was the stereotypical British language. For God's sake, not everyone in the UK talks like Hugh Grant in Bridget Jones!! Yes, us Brits use 'bloody' and 'bollocks' but they are not the only words we use. I also detest the word shag and in twenty-one years I can honestly say I've never heard one Brit use it unless they were in a movie. It drives me insane when American authors dump every stereotype in a book. I understand the need to make a distinction, but the are hundreds of accent in the UK and the stereotypes needed to be used with caution and sparingly. It made Declan sound like a posh twat and didn't fit with his character.

Overall this was an okay read. I think I expected too much going in and it didn't meet the level of standard I have for fighter romances. I'm not sure I'll read more by this author since this is the second book I've read and not totally connected with.


2.5

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Let me know what you think :)

I know word verification is a pain, but spam is worse.

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...