Friday 24 July 2015

Review ~ A Pound of Flesh (A Pound of Flesh #1) by Sophie Jackson

A Pound of Flesh (A Pound of Flesh, #1)
Paperback purchased by myself.

Release Date: June 9th 2015

Publisher: Headline (Eternal)

Description:
For Kat Lane, teaching inmates at a New York prison is her way of upholding the legacy of her beloved father, murdered fifteen years ago. But when new student Wes Carter walks into her classroom, she's shaken by the strength of her attraction to him. Carter is as handsome as he is dangerous, as mysterious as he is quick-witted - and he ensures people keep their distance. Yet vibrant Kat bypasses his defences and challenges him to reveal the real man behind the intimidating reputation. As their emotional barriers crumble, their inescapable but forbidden feelings cannot be ignored. But will Kat's discovery of Carter's role on the night her father died force them apart...or bind their hearts for ever?

My Opinion

I really enjoyed this book. It's been on my wish list since it was released and finally I purchased it at a signing.

I ended up reading A Pound of Flesh in one sitting. It held my attention the whole way through and I couldn't put it down. The writing was excellent, the characters were captivating, and the story intriguing. It pulled me in right from the start and only got better with the more I read.

Both Wes and Kat were complex characters who had a lot about them. Their emotions were beautifully crafted and believable, they were easy to relate to and connect with, and I felt for them both every step of the way--especially Wes. I hated that he didn't feel good enough when he was a sweet and passionate guy deep down. His vulnerabilities made him even more endearing and likeable though. He felt like a good guy despite his past and I rooted for him the entire book.

Similarly I liked Kat's strength and desire to help him. She's a character I respected greatly and then of course the romance is hot and steamy.

The only slight issue I had was Wes's nickname for Kat. The way he referred to her as 'my Peaches' felt strange to me. It also made me think of the baby mammoth in Ice Age 3 at the start, but that's probably just me.


Overall a great read and I'll definitely be reading more by this author. I'd highly recommend this.

5

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Let me know what you think :)

I know word verification is a pain, but spam is worse.

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...