Wednesday 13 May 2015

Review ~ Beautiful Redemption (The Maddox Brothers #2) by Jamie McGuire

Beautiful Redemption (The Maddox Brothers, #2)
Paperback purchased by myself

Release Date: January 27th 2015 

Description:
If A Maddox boy falls in love, he loves forever. But what if he didn't love you, first? 

No-nonsense Liis Lindy is an agent of the FBI. Deciding she is married only to her job, she breaks off her engagement and transfers from Chicago to the field office in San Diego. She loves her desk. She is committed to her laptop. She dreams of promotions and shaking hands with the director after cracking an impossible case. 

Special Agent in Charge Thomas Maddox is arrogant, unforgiving, and ruthless. He is tasked with putting away some of the world’s toughest criminals, and he is one of the best the Bureau has to offer. Though, as many lives as he’s saved, there is one that is beyond his reach. Younger brother Travis is faced with prison time for his involvement in a basement fire that killed dozens of college students, and the media want a conviction. Travis’s only savior is his unusual tie to the mob. In a deal that will spare his brother, Thomas has agreed to recruit Travis into the FBI. 

Liis is stubborn, defiant, and yet somehow softens Thomas’s rough edges, making her the perfect agent to accompany him to the ceremony. Posing as a couple, they must travel to Travis & Abby’s beach vow renewal and give him the news, but when the pretending ends, she finds herself wondering if they were pretending at all. 

In the second installment of the Maddox Brothers books, experience firsthand the mysterious world of the elusive Thomas Maddox, and how good love can be when you’re not the first, but the last.

My Opinion

It took me awhile to read Beautiful Disaster. In fact I read Beautiful Oblivion first because it was up on NetGalley. Whilst I've enjoyed both books in the series, I've never been all fan-girly for it. They're written well, suck you in, and arehigh up on my list of re-reads. However, they're not top. Saying that, I was glad that this author finally moved away from Travis and Abby's story--sort of--in the form of using the brother. That's what had me buying this, but I can't help but feel slightly disappointed.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed this book. However, I wish the author would change the damn time period. I'm seriously getting fed up of hearing about the fire and wedding. I knew things would centre around this before I started reading, but I'd hoped it was only minor. For me I just need some new material. I'm fed up of reading the same scenes but from different characters in the book.

Besides that I did wish the pacing had been better too. It took way too long for the characters to realise and admit their feelings, and I was skimming more towards the end. I know why the author did it, but I didn't buy the growth and Thomas leaving Cami behind. The constant arguments over his feelings became repetitive.

Overall, I know it doesn't sound like it, but I did enjoy Beautiful Redemption. My problems come from it not living up to the previous books because of the repetition. Maybe if there was a bigger gap between when I read them it wouldn't be so bad, but hopefully the next book is something fresh.


3

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Let me know what you think :)

I know word verification is a pain, but spam is worse.

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...