Wednesday 11 March 2015

Review ~ Until I'm Found by M. Lynne Cunning

Until I'm Foundebook borrowed via Kindle Unlimited.

Release Date: March 10th 2015

Publisher: Limitless Publishing LLC

Description:
Amy just wanted to escape Ethan’s abusive ways. She never expected to find the place where she felt like she belonged, and she surely never thought she’d find a second chance at love… 

When Amy Teake attempts to get as far away from her abusive boyfriend as her stash of money will take her, she ends up in Park’s Peak, eventually becoming entangled in a complicated emotional triangle with her boss’s brother and an obnoxious local police officer. She knows Ethan will find her eventually, she just never expects to involve either Cole or Jeremy in her fight for freedom. 

As Amy’s attraction to Cole deepens, and the lines between friendship and love with Jeremy become blurred, she finds herself divided between her fear of Ethan and her fear of hurting the two men who helped her remember how to live again. 

Will Amy outrun her fears and find the happy ending she so desperately desires? Perhaps, happy endings are not always as we expect them to be…

My Opinion

I noticed this novel when I was searching for books on Kindle Unlimited. It seemed like exactly the type of book I was looking for and therefore couldn't wait to start it.

Despite all of the positives I thought of while reading Until I'm Found, though, I can't help but be left disappointed and frustrated. For that reason I'm going to start with what has led me to dislike a read that I loved most of the way through in the hope that after getting it out of my system I'll be able to praise the rest of the writing. I've also hidden the spoilers because it was impossible to write a review without them. The links will take you to my Goodreads review where you can view them properly if desired.

I thought I was going to rate Until I'm Found 4 stars for around 95% of the book. However, the last 5% completely ruined it for me. I mean what kind of ending was that??!!? (view spoiler) It left me feeling disheartened and I couldn't understand the reasoning for it. It was all very sudden, out of the blue, and unnecessary in my opinion. It ruined what had been a great book up until that point.

Saying that, the rest of the book was great. It was a quick read that had me turning the pages and unable to stop. The pacing was good and the story line kept me hooked.

I thought the author did a good job with Amy's character. Whilst she was distrusting to start with I thought she had an underlying strength whereby she refused to be beaten by her past. Even though she was the victim of Ethan's abuse, she didn't act like one. Amy was a strong character and I could respect her for most of the book. Similarly Cole was sweet. He was a genuine guy and the fact that he respected Amy's boundaries and didn't push her made you respect him too. I liked the few scenes between them with playful banter, and it was a type of relationship that drew me in and I couldn't help but love. (view spoiler) I'm still not totally sure bout Jeremy. I never really warmed to him. For me he came across as a bit sleazy and too cocky. (view spoiler)

In terms of the narrative, I thought the author dealt with the situations well. Whilst there are hard subjects to deal with, this book doesn't go into as much detail as others I've read. For me that worked with the rest of the story and Amy's character. There weren't piles of description about what Ethan did to her, but I thought a few flashbacks could have been helpful at times to make me really sympathise over the situation.

Overall this should have been a four star read, but I can't bring myself to rate it that when it left me so disheartened and disappointed. It's like it leaves a bitter after-taste in your mouth. An ending is a huge part of a book, and it makes or breaks a story for me. If the ending is bad, I will be left disliking the book no matter what was written before. For that reason, I have to drop my rating. I wouldn't not recommend this read as the writing was good, the characters were likeable, and it was a quick read. However, my advice would be to stop when you see the words "six months later", unless you like weird twists.

Actual rating 2.5/3 ... I'm torn for reasons mentioned above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Let me know what you think :)

I know word verification is a pain, but spam is worse.

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...