Tuesday 13 January 2015

Review ~ Sometimes Never (Sometimes Never #1) by Cheryl McIntyre

Sometimes Never (Sometimes Never, #1)Paperback purchased by myself

Release Date: December 19th 2012

Description:
Hope didn't have the best role model when it came to relationships. She’s content with her current no-strings-attached extracurricular activity with the lead singer of her band. She’s never believed in love and commitment.

Mason starts his eighth school in five years anticipating nothing more than the usual—boring classes, fighting more than making friends, and girls happily willing to succumb to his easy smile. He’s never put much stock into love at first sight—until he sees her.

Regardless of their painful pasts, Hope and Mason discover that sometimes never can become forever.

*This is a mature young adult. Recommended for 17+ due to sensitive subject material, harsh language, and sexual situations.

My Opinion
This was an interesting read. I read Blackbird last year without realising it was an addition to this book, and because it was one of the more enjoyable freebies I got, I decided to give the novel ago. Just like with Blackbird, I enjoyed the reading about how the characters develop and grew to be where they are in the novella.

Whilst this isn't an easy read as I have gone through similar issues with a friend, I did find it realistic. The writing is pretty blunt and doesn't sugar-coat Hope's actions though, so if you're squeamish or sensitive to themes like self harm, I'd say this book probably isn't for you. It is one of the less sensitive books I've read in terms of how the situations are dealt with and written about, but that did give it an authentic quality.

When Hope was being a badass and beating guys, I liked her. She did have a strong, protective side. I liked that she fought for what was hers and defended her friends. She was a loyal character who had just had bad things happen to her. I could also sympathise with her for what she had gone through in the past. Similarly, Mason was cute and I'm glad he won Hope over. I will say that his character felt a little too feminine at times and that the odd possessive comment were thrown in deliberately to try and make him seem more masculine. I would have liked a bit more consistency from him, but he was sweet.

The only big negative I have for this book is the ending. The epilogue suddenly jumps and I don't know when it's meant to take place. Obviously Blackbird takes place between the last chapter and the epilogue so I knew what happened already, but it's been a while and I can only imagine it would be quite confusing for someone who hasn't read both. It was all so sudden to me and the details I would have liked in the novel are in the novella. I can understand the separation as this book is already very long, but I think the book at least needs a time put on the epilogue so you can be prepared for it.

My only other comment is that sometimes it was hard to figure out who was speaking. I think it could use another minor edit to clear up a few things and make it easier to follow, but all in all it was an engaging read. It's by no means easy, but if you like the tougher NA books, it may be for you.

3

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Let me know what you think :)

I know word verification is a pain, but spam is worse.

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...