Wednesday 1 October 2014

Review ~ Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful #1) by Jamie McGuire

Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful, #1)Paperback purchased by myself

Publisher: Simon & Schuster

Description:
Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate number of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance from the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University’s Walking One-Night Stand.

Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby wants—and needs—to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the ultimate college campus charmer. Intrigued by Abby’s resistance to his appeal, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis’s apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match.

My Opinion

I know ... it's taken me a while to read this and I'm a bit behind, but I had a voucher and I finally decided to go ahead and buy it. I read Oblivion earlier this year and liked the author's style so I wanted to find out about Travis' story.

I'm not going to say much about this book, because it's older than what I normally review, but I did really enjoy this book. It wasn't really what I was expecting, but I liked it nonetheless. The characters were easy to connect with, the story was lovable, and I was surprised by how little 'darkness' there was in it. That was the main reason I hadn't read this, I assumed it was a dark new adult. 

Anyway, I didn't expect not to be able to put this down, but I couldn't. I engaged with it really well and I felt for the characters. I liked Travis and Abby, and it was a relationship you could fall in love with too. The only thing that stopped me rating this five stars was the fact that things did become a little repetitive with the story line. There was also a lack of detail/scenes on things I wanted to know about. I know there is a novella about the wedding and book 2 is Travis' story, but I don't want to spend an extra £10 to re-read the same book form the guy's POV and gain an extra insight into a wedding. This was the thing that disappointed me most as I thought it was a series.

Overall though, this was an enjoyable read. I liked the story and it engaged me and I would recommend it.

4

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Let me know what you think :)

I know word verification is a pain, but spam is worse.

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...