Friday 3 October 2014

ARC Review ~ It’s Not Me, It’s You by Mhairi McFarlane

It’s Not Me, It’s YouARC Paperback received from publisher as part of a points system

Release Date: April 9th 2015 (first publisher Nov 2014)

Publisher: Harper

Description:
An achingly funny story about how to be your own hero when life pulls the rug out from under your feet. From the author of the bestselling YOU HAD ME AT HELLO

Delia Moss isn’t quite sure where she went wrong.

When she proposed and discovered her boyfriend was sleeping with someone else – she thought it was her fault.

When she realised life would never be the same again – she thought it was her fault.

And when he wanted her back life nothing had changed – Delia started to wonder if perhaps she was not to blame…

From Newcastle to London and back again, with dodgy jobs, eccentric bosses and annoyingly handsome journalists thrown in, Delia must find out where her old self went – and if she can ever get her back.

My Opinion

I had some points saved up from reviewing for HarperImpulse so when this went up as a reward, I thought I'd give it a go. Women's fiction isn't usually my thing, but I'd seen an image of the proof copy and the words on the front caught my attention. It sounded like it would be a humourous read, and I was intrigued. 

This is the first book I have read by this author, so I was pleasantly surprised to find this a read I couldn't put down. I didn't expect to connect with the character so well, and be so engaged with their story. I liked Delia and thought her emotions and growth was believable. Similarly, I liked Adam, Emma, and Joe. I thought they all worked really well together and their connections were something I believed to be real. Similarly, (I hate the author for this) but I did end up liking Paul. I hated him to begin with as I have a thing with cheating, but the author somehow twisted my opinion of him in the end, which was annoying because I wanted to stay mad at him. Don't get me wrong, I still prefer Adam, but at least this book ends on a good note.

Moreover, I didn't expect the plot to go where it did. I thought it would be about Delia changing her life and finding herself, but I didn't expect the drama that unfolds near the end. I'm not going to give away what happens, but it was a nice little twist that added some tension that wasn't emotional into the book. It was paced well--better than anything I've read in this genre--but I thought this scene gave it a little kick.

Overall, this turned out to be a book I really enjoyed--and actually found funny. I like the author's style and although it's not the genre I usually read, I think I'm going to have to check out the other books by her. This is definitely one to look out for.

4.5

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Let me know what you think :)

I know word verification is a pain, but spam is worse.

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...