Saturday 15 March 2014

Review ~ Legend by Marie Lu

Legend (Legend, #1)Paperback purchased by myself

Release Date: 29th November 2011

Publisher: Razorbill

Description:
What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem. 
From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets. 
Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills.

My Opinion

This is one of those books that has been on my to-buy list forever. I finally got round to purchasing it last November and finally started and finished reading it a few days ago. It has split my opinion and I'm not sure I'm going to explain why as my head is a rambling mess, but I'll give it a go.

Overall, I liked Legend. It had a kick-ass female lead, a criminal bad-boy and lots of destruction in the dystopian genre. It started off well and the alternating points of view worked in this book, giving a good over view when the characters were apart. It also moved at a quick pace, with short chapters. I was actually surprised at its length when it came in the post as I thought it would be at least 100 pages more--don't know why I assumed it.

However, I think my main issue with Legend was that it was predictable. It would have probably been better if I'd read it when it first came out as I wouldn't have been so used to the genre but reading it now, it just read like every other dystopian book. It also didn't hold or conceal its secrets very well. I had guessed the ending at the twist way before it was revealed so I did find it lacking in that sense because I was right on every assumption.

Saying that, I probably will by the second book though as it finishes on an annoying cliff hanger that only sums up part of the book and I'm intrigued to see where it goes next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Let me know what you think :)

I know word verification is a pain, but spam is worse.

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...