Tuesday 26 November 2013

Review ~ Allegiant (Divergent #3) by Veronica Roth

Allegiant (Divergent, #3)Paperback purchased by myself

Release Date: 22nd October 2013


Publisher: HarperCollins


Description:

The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered—fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she’s known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories. 

But Tris’s new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature—and of herself—while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love.

My Opinion - I have tried to keep spoilers out but there may be subtle hints due to my rant.... please excuse my anger :)

Wow...where do I even start with this review? It took me a while to read Divergent but I fell in love with both book one and two quickly. They were gritty, edgy and full of brilliant action. They were worthy of five stars to me. So, because of this, I purchased them all in paperback because I wanted to display them in my collection of books rather than just have an ebook. I also shipped the box set over to the UK so I could get Allegiant in paperback before it's released here - with in my opinion a better cover. However, now that I have read it I just feel severely disappointed. For me this is book was a perfect example of how to ruin a great series. And it wasn't just the final few pages that I hated, it was the whole thing!

I won't say to much about what goes on as, even though it's bad, I don't want to ruin it for those who haven't yet read it. I saw a comment that ruined the book for me before I even started and from that point on I knew I wasn't going to like Alligent. Basically I read it for closure. 

Allegiant lost all of the gritty action and toughness that I fell in love with in the first two books. Instead, it is just page after page after page of talk about genetics and I found myself skimming easily. I was so tempted to give up but had to see the series through. Seriously, it was painful to read. As well as that the first person narrative just didn't work for me. There was not enough on Evelyn throughout the middle section and I got bored of reading about what Tris and Tobias were doing.

The major annoyance, disappointment with this book though was the ending. Seriously who does what Veronica Roth did!!!??? It was ridiculous, stupid and in my opinion a waste of time. For me it rendered all of the other books pointless and I was left disheartened. It has even put me off wanting to see the movie which looked amazing from the trailer.

Overall this book was a perfect example of how not to end a series. It was disappointing, lacked everything that made it unique in the first place and was just plain stupid. I'm not a die-hard fan who has followed this series and has been eagerly anticipating this release either but it still has irritated me a lot. I don't think I've ever had such a variation in ratings for a series. If you want closure, read Allegiant but it's not a book I would recommend.


2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with your review! I felt that this book made the previous ones and their story lines seem pointless and, lets face it, this wasn't the type of series that could handle the way it ended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I was reading it thinking 'what was the point in building and developing a character just to do that in the end?' Definitely wasn't a series that could handle what happened. Also, I'm more of a HEA girl so was disappointed on that too...

      Delete

I love comments! Let me know what you think :)

I know word verification is a pain, but spam is worse.

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...